Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Story 2 - Infected nigerians

I sat in the corner of the room, the music thumped off all the objects in the room my heart and ribs inside of me included. Smoke wafted this way and that,the polished laugh of both the females and males in groups all around me sounded like mating calls of the homo sapiens we are.

Its a typical Friday night and for some insane reason i followed my cousin out with her friends. We were both dressed in black but our clothes were nothing alike, she wore a one armed dress with a diamond circle clasp on her right shoulder the black silk of her dress clung to every curve and looked as though she were doing a sexual shimmy every time she moved around and she moved quite frequently i can assure you.

Her braids with curls at the tips were piled high on her head, and had the waves cascading down her back. It looked as though she had fallen out of bed with that sexy tussled look. But we both knew she had gotten Phillip her hair stylist working for nearly two hours,to get it to look like just that, insanely high platforms sandals finished of her posh look.

From the minute we stepped through the doors nearly two hours before i had been on my seat nursing my shandy and she had been across the room speaking with the many people from America where she lived for most of the year she knew.

I on the other hand was wearing a pair of black straight jeans a t-shirt that said, 'thou shall move on to the next' with mid heeled red slip ons, simple i know but that the kind of girl i am.

I mean i would have to be simple minded for me to follow out Yasmine, as she chooses to be called, not by her igbo name that I know her as (Nkemjika). This would be the third time i had gone out with her this Christmas alone and she always promised not to know anyone and she would never leave my side yet, time after time six minutes exactly into the time we have been in the building she is off.

The girls she stood cackling with, each wore a different variation to what it was she was wearing be it in color or cut but all fundamentally the same, this confused me to no end. I mean you hear so much about the store that are all over the place in America and London so why do they all end up wearing the same thing! A real puzzle isn't it?

The guys were even more amazing ordering bottle after bottle of champagne as though trying to out buy each other, when on average they must be spending in excesses on 150,000 naira a night ( about a thousand dollars at least!) Insane! do you know how many beggars they could get off the street with that kind of money? don't even get me started on what that would get for me!

Its a foreign world to me this world in front of my eyes, where the music is a facilitator for whispered conversations in secret lovers ears, where dancing to music means your drunk or don't belong ( i found this out the hard way) a world where your big problem is how your house cleaner wakes you up, before the designated 10am wake up request because they want to clean your room, a place where when you have a flat tire your expected to sit and find someone else you can pay to do it.

It was a world i found hilarious, i mean, i totally envied the fact that their parents worked damn hard enough to afford them a life of luxury, but what they were doing with that world was laughable. It was a shallow shallow plane they had chosen to exist on and i for one wished them nothing but good luck.

I looked over to the door that lead to the VIP section and saw just arriving, a group of guys dressed in the same fashionably slouchy attire ( i call it yuppy)as the rest of the room but these guys were obviously the head of the pack. Four of them walked in, one was extremely tall and skinny he wore a pair of jeans so snug i had to avert my eyes so as not to have the outline of his manhood through his jeans etched in my mind, his jeans lay hanging somewhere around the bottom of his arse and the embellished t-shirt he wore had graffiti and studs and basically would blind anyone who looked at it with the exception of his entourage as they were all were sunglasses. The others were dressed in similar styles but one guy in particular caught my eye more than the others, although fleetingly. He was extremely relaxed, not posing like the others who were standing as though there were photographers standing there taking pictures of their silly stances.

He caught me looking and i blushed, i couldn't believe i did! where was the cynical mocking me i knew? blushing? absurd! You could almost smell the excitement in the air from the women in the VIP section, the room could barely take fifty bodies but it was packed with well over one hundred, there were more exaggerated laughs tossing of long human hair from a lot of the women, in an attempt to catch the newcomers eyes.

I giggled to myself it was hilarious i only wish my best friend fati was there with me. She would have shared my sentiment and we would have spent the night laughing away at the silly rich kids.

I rolled my eyes as i saw the tall lanky 'Mr tight pants' was talking to my cousin, from the hand she was resting familiarly on his shoulder and the loud squeals of laughter from her i knew the three hour maximum limit she promised we would be out was definitely not going to happen.

Dragging my bored exhausted self to the bar i waited for more than fifteen minutes for the bartender to pay attention to my empty glass and come over to my corner of the bar, despite all my pouty attempts i was shamefully unable to catch his eyes with the other gloss covered lips requesting for glasses of champagne in comparison my unglamorous shandy request i was no contest.

'Daniel, please give the lady a glass of champagne i heard behind me,' i turned around in frustration to physically step on the overbearing man who had the gall to speak over my head and skip my turn, to see the laid back guy that caught my eye when he had entered earlier.'i hope champagne would be a fair exchange for the other drink you asked for' he asked with a slight smile, actually no i don't drink champagne. 'Why ever not' he exclaimed his posh British accent playing a melody on my ear. 'I just don't' i said disagreeably 'well, please serve the lady whatever it is she wishes and put it on my tab.'

I had my glass in my hand with thirty seconds, this had my heart burning with annoyance in a way you cannot imagine. 'Is it your accent that has gained you this power at a bar or your money?',i asked bitingly. "would it make a difference which ever it were? you needed a drink you have one" he said simply. Who could argue with that logic? he kept looking at me in this unfathomable manner,as though he wanted to read my thoughts i found it both freaky and exhilarating at the same time.

'Your such a pretty little thing did you know that?" pretty i had heard before little?? never! i am a full size twelve with the boobs and hips to match(and damn proud) so that comment had both my eyebrows up in my hair line he only smiled back in response. 'Its a compliment just accept it, your quite prickly you know' always a sarcastic comment on the tip of your tongue it seems'.

Well he didn't need to know that, that was a classic sign of attraction on my part, i just needed to find out what it was i was attracted to about him and erase it. I hated his type i had to remind myself of that, but my lady bits didn't seem to hear me or weren't listening definitely.

And then it happens a dancehall song comes on the speakers, the reggae vibe is pulsating around the room, and i cant resist, my hips start to move without my consent. I love dancehall, i mean if being a professional dancehall dancer was a career(that made fabulous money like the law career path i am on) i would have chosen that as my field i am that... good. 'You wanna dance?'he asked, a snorted in response 'no offense but i wouldn't want you to scuff a shoe or something this song entails proper dancing not balancing a glass'. He put his drink down on the bar and collected mine and did the same. He led me out of the VIP room downstairs to near the middle of the dance floor.Once he had touched my hand to take me down to dance, there had been an electric current moving up and down my arms, i wouldn't have been able to speak if i wanted to.

We both began swaying in motion to the rhythm of the song our hips grinding into each others or hands always intertwined, his hand was always on one part of my body my hip my waist my tummy each hand sending heat to my core, and then i knew. i knew why they were drawn to each other, if anyone of those guys upsatirs could incite this type of heat in a woman and he knew he had this kind of power we women were destined to fall, there was no hope it was only a matter of when. I was suddenly one of them i wanted Kola in my life i was willing to do the silly laugh and wear sexy clothes to see the look in his eyes when he saw me, i knew he wanted me. Maybe tonight he would be lucky, maybe not but i was willing to accept what ever was to happen between us when it did happen.

to be continued ....

3 comments:

  1. TayneMent said we should stop by...

    .... Welcome to Blogville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much glad to be here!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. here from Taynement's. You do have a way with words! Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete